Amanda-Users

Re: incrementals

2002-09-05 17:08:15
Subject: Re: incrementals
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 16:44:22 -0400
On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 12:53:56PM -0700, Chris Bourne wrote:
> Hello,
>     Well I finally got my tapes to rotate and amdump to write now I need help
> with getting this thing to do incrementals. I basically want 6 backups a week
> with 1 full and the rest incremental. So what option do I nedd in my disklist
> file and what should I have for dumpcycle, runspercycle, and tapecycle. Is
> this all I need to configure or is there more?

Glad you got it working.
I remember you posting some problems.
What was their resolution?

Amanda doesn't schedule things quite like you phrase it.
The dumpcycle determines the maximum time betweed full dumps.
But there may in fact be more than one full dump of any
particular disklist entry during that period.

> This what I have in my amanda.conf......
>
> dumpcycle 1 week

Sounds right

> runspercycle 5

Sounds like it should be 6

> tapecycle 7 tapes

Think of tapecycle as how many tapes total you are using.
In your situation, 7 sounds like an uncomfortable minimum.
I'm doing the same dump/runsper settings, but using 18,
soon to be 24 tapes.

> .....and in my disklist.
>
> localhost /dev/sda3 always-full

"always-full" will have to change.

> Oh yeh if I want to do more than one partition for example /dev/sda1 and
> /dev/sda3 and so on would I add another line for example........
>
> localhost /dev/sda3 always-full
> localhost /dev/sda1 always-full

except "always-full".

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)