Amanda-Users

Re: Label Printing. Resolution

2002-09-03 13:10:44
Subject: Re: Label Printing. Resolution
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Alex Specogna <alex.specogna AT cryptologic DOT com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 12:57:47 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 3 Sep 2002 at 12:26pm, Alex Specogna wrote

> Originally I was under the impression that amdump ran amreport for me
> and just wasn't outputting anything.  Wrong, amreport needs to be run
> separately. flaw in logic number 1

No, actually that's the way it "should" work, and does for me.  The only
amanda command my nightly script runs is 'amdump', and when I come in
every morning the report email is waiting for me and the tape labels are
on the printer.  I run 2.4.2p2 on Linux.

> >From my experimentation amreport APPENDS the text after the -p flag (in
> this case "test.ps") to the current directory name you are in and places
> the file one directory above your current location.  e.g. if you are in
> /usr/home and you run the command line mentioned above you would get a
> file called /usr/hometest.ps.
> I also noticed that if you do not include the Set name in the output
> name of the -p flag it behaves similarly. Hence to correctly get the
> labels working do the following:
>
> 1) Define the lbl-temp directive in your tapetype definition.
> 2) Run the amreport command as follows:
> amreport <Set Name> -l <full path to log file> -f /dev/null -p <output
> file inc. set name>
>
> e.g.
> amreport Backups -l /usr/adm/amanda/Backups/log.20020903.0 -f
> /dev/null -p /tmp/Backups-0903.ps
>
> This will put the file in a predictable location of /tmp and solve a lot
> of headaches.

That all sounds *very* odd and not the way it works here.  If you could,
can you give 2.4.2p2 a shot?  Or try upgrading to 2.4.3b4 (just released),
which might just become 2.4.3.  Are there any strange errors or things
missing when you ./configure?

That behavior just doesn't sound right.

> This is one thing that the Amanda application is really bad at..
> documentation.  The application is fabulous.. all it needs is someone to
> champion the cause of making it easy to use (through documentation).

Actually, between "the chapter" at backupcentral.com, docs/INSTALL,
example/*, the list archives, and F-O-M, all the info really is out there.
What you're experiencing isn't the right/planned behavior, which is why, I
think, you see it the way you do.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering