Amanda-Users

Re: Backing up only certain directories?

2002-09-02 23:09:28
Subject: Re: Backing up only certain directories?
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: "Dale Clapperton (lists)" <lists AT blackbird.net DOT au>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 22:50:43 -0400
On Monday 02 September 2002 21:32, Dale Clapperton (lists) wrote:
>Hi all
>
>Potentially stupid question..  Does AMANDA support backing up only
> a certain directory on a host (ie /var/log for example) or only
> whole partitions (ie /var) ??

Sure, but you have to use tar.

>Couldnt seem to find an answer to this on the site or in the FAQ,
> and all the examples only seem to refer to partitions.

Most times the whole partition is the target, unless its bigger than
a tape, in which case you break the disklist down into usable hunks
of data by specing not the root of the partition, but a series of
its subdirs that will each fit a tape.  I do that with a 36 gig
/usr on 4 gig tapes here.

--
Cheers Dale, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M