Amanda-Users

ontape onbar Amanda and single images

2002-08-30 11:54:36
Subject: ontape onbar Amanda and single images
From: "Quinn, Richard C. - Collinsville IT" <rcquinn AT roysterclark DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:28:13 -0500
Hi,

We are running informix 7.3 with Amanda 2.4 on Solaris 2.6.

We have a dilemma with regard to backing  up our Informix Dbase.

We have a 120 Gig dbase we normally backup via the Informix ''ontape''
utility.

Doing this gives us the 'roll forward' capability.  So that in the event
of a crash.
We can recover the database pretty much up to the minute of the last
transaction.

So now we have Amanda up and running and we wish to be able to back up
our Database.

>From what I am told, Amanda won't back up a single image(which, I guess,
means a file) on more than one tape.
And, from what I understand, the informix dbase is backed up as a single
image.

This single image is far more than can be stored on one of our DLT 7K
tapes(70 gig compressed).

So the alternative would be to export the database to a filesystem and
then back THAT up onto Amanda.
Well, from what I am  told, if we do that, we'll lose the ''roll
forward'' capability.
That would not be acceptable to our users.

That and doing it this way(the export method) would require another 130
gig of unused disk space so as to
have a place to put the exported Dbase.

We tried using a combo of ''onbar'' and using a FIFO, but that didn't
seem to resolve our Dilemma.

I think the Key issue is the word ''image'' and the fact that one cannot
be written over more than one tape.

Is there anyone who is  familiar with this problem?

Rich