Amanda-Users

Re: Problem with tar on boot disk

2002-08-30 07:10:56
Subject: Re: Problem with tar on boot disk
From: Dietmar Goldbeck <dietmar.goldbeck AT acm DOT org>
To: Luc Dewavrin <luc.dewavrin AT sycomore DOT fr>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:51:15 +0200
On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 10:55:04AM +0200, Luc Dewavrin wrote:

> Is it a known issue ? Any idea how i could fix it?
> Have you ever tried bare level restoration on Linux with Amanda?
> Should i use another boot disk and which one?

You need a real GNUtar. I use superrescue if the machine has a CD-ROM
drive:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/superrescue/v2/README

Otherwise i install a small Linux system on the first hard-disk
partition. (Debian base install from floppy) Then i do normal Amanda
recovery. The small partition can either be used for /boot afterwards
(keeping it as a rescue system and just putting the lilo files in its
root) or formatted as swap.

   regards

       Dietmar

--
 Alles Gute / best wishes
     Dietmar Goldbeck                E-Mail: dietmar.goldbeck AT acm DOT org