Amanda-Users

Re: two schedules simultaneously?

2002-08-29 10:58:28
Subject: Re: two schedules simultaneously?
From: Christoph Scheeder <christoph.scheeder AT scheeder DOT de>
To: Wayne Byarlay <wab AT purdue DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 16:40:29 +0200
Hi,

Wayne Byarlay wrote:

Greetings.

I currently run Amanda with a 15-day dump cycle, Mon-Fri, called
"DailySet1".

I want to know if it's possible to do the following:

1. Make DailySet1 only run Mon-Thur;
2. Create a "WeeklySet1", with a 5-tape rotation, scheduled for Fridays,
doing a level 0 on all filesystems.

I was reading the book and it says you can do full archival dumps by
"creating a new AMANDA configuration with its own set of tapes". This sounds
similar to what I want to do but not exactly. Does this mean create a whole
'nother instance of AMANDA in some other directory(my guess), or just create
the "WeeklySet1" file? The way it sounds, one instance of a total AMANDA
configuration can only use one schedule set.

No, no, amanda can use multiple configurations, the just can't be
run at the same time.
If you run them one after another all is fine.
just copy your directory DailySet1 to a new one called WeeklySet1,
make the needed changes to the disklist/amanda.conf
and all should work fine.
All my server's have at least to configurations, one for the daily dumps
and one for long time archival.
Christoph

any other thoughts on this, too, are indeed welcome.

Thanks,

Wayne Byarlay
Purdue University Libraries