Amanda-Users

iptables and privileged udp port range etc

2002-08-25 17:04:59
Subject: iptables and privileged udp port range etc
From: "Ulf Wostner" <wostner AT cyberprof DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 13:52:03 -0700
Greetings Amanda and iptables Gurus,

I am trying to use iptables optimally for amanda on both the backup server and the backup clients.  It's working OK already, but I'm trying to have better control over which ports are being opened up.

The way I understand things, largerly from reading postings on the web, this is what happens when we run amdump.  Feel free to correct me;)

1) The backup server sends a UDP backup request to port 10080 on the backup client.

2) The backup client forks an amandad process that then tries to open a fairly random privileged UDP port on the backup server.   QUESTION: What does the COMPLETE iptables command look like that restricts those ports to a certain range, such as 850 through 854.  Maybe using something like  --with-udpportrange to "recommend" ports ??.  I have enough RAM to allow connection tracking.

3) For each dumper process the backup server opens a couple of TCP sockets ( for data, messages, and indexing) on the backup client.  QUESTION: What would a complete iptables command look like? Using connection tracking is fine with me.

4) Data is exhanged. I have enough RAM to allow connection tracking.

Thanks a lot,

Ulf

SuSE 8.0
amanda version 2.4.2p2  (using SuSE rpm)
linux kernel 2.4.18-4