Amanda-Users

Re: chg-scsi.conf HELP

2002-08-23 19:28:09
Subject: Re: chg-scsi.conf HELP
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Chris Bourne <cbourne AT xapnet DOT com>, amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 19:18:54 -0400
On Friday 23 August 2002 17:42, Chris Bourne wrote:
>Hello,
>    I am in need of help regarding changing tapes on a autoloader
> using the chg-scsi.conf file. I am using amanda 2.4.2p2-4 on
> RedHat 7.2 with a Dell 120T DDS4 autoloader and Sony 20/40G dgd
> 150p tapes. I have set up amanda to use tpchanger  "chg-scsi"
> option. Here is the contents of the chg-scsi-linux.conf file I am
> using........
>
>number_configs    1
>eject        0    # Tapedrives need an eject command
>sleep        90    # Seconds to wait until the tape gets ready
>cleanmax    100     # How many times could a cleaning tape get
> used changerdev    /dev/sg2
>#
># Next comes the data for drive 0
>#
>config        0
>drivenum    0
>dev        /dev/nst0
>scsitapedev    /dev/sg1
>startuse    0    # The slots associated with the drive 0
>enduse        6    #
>statfile     /etc/amanda/DailySet1/tape0-slot  # The file where
> the actual slot is stored
>cleancart    8    # the slot where the cleaningcartridge for drive
> 0 is located

chg-scsi seems to use a base 0 numbering, so if thats an 8 slot
magazine, the cleancart would normally be placed in the last
slot, which is slot 7, not 8.

>cleanfile    /etc/amanda/DailySet1/tape0-clean # The file where
> the cleanings are recorded
>usagecount    /etc/amanda/DailySet1/totaltime
>tapestatus    /etc/amanda/DailySet1/tapestatus # here will some
> status infos be stored
>#labelfile    /etc/amanda/DailySet1/labelfile # Use this if you
> have an barcode reader
>
>....I am not sure what to put in the statfile or if this is
> something written by the amanda program itself. Anyway when I run
> an

Its written by amanda.

>bash$amcheck DailySet1
>
>I get the following output......
>
>amcheck-server: could not get changer info: specify a number as
>tape_device [0-9]
>Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>-----------------------------
>
>Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>--------------------------------
>Client check: 1 host checked in 0.023 seconds, 0 problems found
>
>(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.2p2)
>
>I cannot figure out what this means. I basically just want the
> tapes to change daily so a new backup can be written. Can someone
> please help with what commands need to be executed to make this
> happen daily. Also attatched is a copy of my amanda.conf file.

Which wasn't attached. chg-scsi can be a bit tricky to setup, so you
might want to compare this one with yours:  Its for a 4 slot changer.
----------------------
number_configs  1
# emubarcode      0
debuglevel      0:0
eject           0       # Tapedrives need an eject command
sleep           30      # Seconds to wait until the tape gets ready
cleanmax        100      # How many times could a cleaning tape get used
changerdev      /dev/sg1
#
# Next comes the data for drive 0
#
config          0
drivenum        0
dev             /dev/nst0       # the device that is used for the tapedrive 0
# scsitapedev   /dev/sg1        # don't double define it

startuse        0       # The slots associated with the drive 0
enduse          2       #
statfile        /usr/local/etc/amanda/tape5-slot  # The file where the actual
slot is stored
cleancart       3       # the slot where the cleaningcartridge for drive 0 is
located
cleanfile       /usr/local/etc/amanda/tape0-clean # The file where the
cleanings are recorded
usagecount      /usr/local/etc/amanda/backup/totaltime
tapestatus      /usr/local/etc/amanda/tapestatus
# TH
# TH Added the labelfile to record which tape is in which slot.
# TH this will speed up things on large changer to
# TH find a specific tape
labelfile       /usr/local/etc/amanda/labelfile
# This is the end
I hope this helps.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M