Amanda-Users

chg-manual problems

2002-08-20 11:55:56
Subject: chg-manual problems
From: "Brashers, Bart -- MFG, Inc." <Bart.Brashers AT mfgenv DOT com>
To: "Amanda Users (E-mail)" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:16:08 -0600
Can anyone help me?

I'm using the chg-manual on a DLT-8000, with runtapes=2.  I've un-commented
the section in the script that sends mail once an hour, asking for the next
Amanda tape.

Right now, I started an amflush after last night's failure to find the right
tape.  It rejected the first tape I put in (even though the last amreport
said amanda expected it) but took the 2nd tape I tried.  amflush is now
running -- the lights on the tape drive indicate it's being written to, and
it's whirring.  But I'm getting about 5 emails per _minute_ with the usual
chg-manual message "insert Amanda tape into slot 373 (/dev/nst0)".  Yet
nothing's running:

[root ~]% ps aux | grep am
USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
amanda   25118  0.0  0.0  1972  840 ?        S    07:40   0:00 amflush Daily
amanda   25119  0.0  0.0  2592  756 ?        S    07:40   0:00 taper Daily
amanda   25120  0.0  0.0  2628  836 ?        D    07:40   0:00 taper Daily

Those are just what you'd expect to see running when doing an amflush!  Can
anyone help me figure out what to kill to stop these email messages?

As a side note, I often have trouble figuring out which tape amanda wants.
amcheck runs each afternoon from crontab, just before I go home, to make
sure I have the right tape in.  If I forget to change the tape, when amdump
fires off (also from crontab) later that evening, then two processes are
requesting "insert Amanda tape", each unloading the tape after not finding
the right one, and never letting the other process get started.

If anyone has hacked the chg-manual script with improvements, like
specifying _which_ tape amanda wants, I'd sure like a copy...

Thanks,

Bart
---
Bart Brashers                           MFG Inc.
Air Quality Meteorologist               19203 36th Ave W Suite 101
bart.brashers AT mfgenv DOT com            Lynnwood WA 98036-5707
http://www.mfgenv.com                   425.921.4000 Fax: 425.921.4040