Amanda-Users

Re: Can I use amanda without tape backup?

2002-08-16 09:46:49
Subject: Re: Can I use amanda without tape backup?
From: "John D. Bickle" <jdb AT rvbs DOT com>
To: stelarinc AT inbox DOT lv
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 09:34:04 -0400
Hi folks.

Yes, there is a way to backup to disk only. By using amanda-2.4.3b3 you can do
your backups to a hard drive or some other file-oriented system.

The way to do this is to configure your tapedev to be something like
file:/var/spool/backup and to make sure you have a subdirectory named data. You
label this 'tape' just like you would label a normal tape, using the amlabel
command and run your backups as usual.

Here are some practical hints for you:

1. Make sure you use 2.4.3b3, otherwise you won't get a file driver. compile
and configure as usual (read the manual).

2. I find a good way of doing this is to create subdirectories in the backup
directory organized by date, eg. 20020815 or something, and then symlink them
to 'data' and label them. This way you can rotate  your directories just like
tapes. Personally, i run a shell script that does this just before the backups
run every night.

As the manual suggests, this is also useful if you want to use cd's or dvd's to
accomplish the same thing.

If you have a SAN or a NAS like i do, its very handy to mount an nfs directory
and do the dumps there. You can also use smb (samba), but NFS seems to be
faster.

4. Don't forget to do periodic backups *anyway*, esp. of the index
directories... never rely on a 'single point of failure'.

Good Luck!

cheers,
john.