Amanda-Users

Re: Sun L280

2002-08-14 17:44:10
Subject: Re: Sun L280
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 17:20:58 -0400
On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 03:40:47PM -0500, ed.smith AT alliente DOT com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have seen a number of messages in regard to this, so hopefully someone
> can help me here.  I have a sun e220r connected to a sun L280 and I have
> a couple questions.  First of all, is there a way that I can confirm
> that my server actually "sees" the tape library and the drive?  Also, I
> am new to this type of config and I was wondering what I need to do to
> configure the st.conf file and other files to get the library to work.
> Any help is appreciated.

Not sure what you mean "in regard to this".  Are you having trouble?
What kind?  What have you tried?  What errors did you encounter?

First source of answers is the documentation that comes with the L280.

I once watched an installer putting in a Sun DLT drive who did not
consult the docs in the box.  He just "knew what to do".  The little
lines at the start of the installation manual that said "you must
edit the st.conf file" were deemed unnecessary when pointed out to him.
Frustrated he gave up after 4 hours and was leaving for the day.  While
he was packing up I followed the instructions and had it running before
he was ready to leave.

Don't have the docs?  Shame!  Call your Sun rep for replacements and
meanwhile go to docs.sun.com.  As it is an HP unit (surestore autoloader
718) you can get some info at hp.com support->storage->tape->manuals.

HP dat changers and drives (not familiar with dlt) have VERY specific
dip switch settings for using them on Solaris.  You would think a
Sun branded HP drive is already setup properly but ...

RE st.conf, as this is a Sun product, your st.conf may already have the
needed entries (mine doesn't).

If installed correctly there should be devices in /dev/rmt.  Presence
of the devices does not mean correct installation, but absence means
incorrect installation.

mt can be used to manipulate the drive (not changer, just drive).

dd/tar/ufsdump/cat can be used to read and write to the drive.

Does the drive come with a program similar to mtx to control the changer?

Maybe (i don't know the answer) the freeware mtx will work for dlt changers.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)