ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Improving Replication performance

2018-04-27 04:29:22
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Improving Replication performance
From: Stefan Folkerts <stefan.folkerts AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 09:58:47 +0200
We have just build a setup at a large university that replicates (on
average) 6.9TB per hour but that data is deduplicated on the source server.
If you have 10Gb/s+ bandwith and no limitation on the performance on the
source you should but able to handle 7TB per day (mixed workload, not only
tiny files) on a target server if it's an M blueprint or faster model
without any issue.
The specifications of the compute hardware at this customer are less then
what you specify memory wise, we are spot on M blueprint but with NVME's
for the database.
If your source server can deliver the data fast enough it's all about super
fast database and activelog performance on the target, it's needs to do an
insane amount of iop/s to chunk, hash and check all the chunks you are
throwing at it. And yes, memory helps but 256GB isn't as important as
database speed and raw CPU power to plow thru that data.

Did you run benchmarks on the database and activelog volumes on your target
server?
We reach about 110.000 IOP/s on the database volumes using NVME and we have
found that to be the key to unlocking Spectrum Protect ludicrous-mode.

https://imgur.com/a/SAA7OAZ