ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Why is is dedup cache file not excluded by default ?

2018-02-26 05:05:20
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Why is is dedup cache file not excluded by default ?
From: Martin Janosik <martin.janosik AT CZ.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 10:59:47 +0100
Hello,

your presumtion doesn't seems accurate to me (Windows, Linux, AIX clients,
mostly v7.1):

tsm> q inclexc
*** FILE INCLUDE/EXCLUDE ***
Mode Function  Pattern (match from top down)  Source File
---- --------- ------------------------------ -----------------
No exclude filespace statements defined.
Excl Directory /.../.TsmCacheDir              TSM
Include Snapshot Retry
TSM500*                        /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm.sys
No DFS include/exclude statements defined.

Any directory .TsmCacheDir is excluded by software itself

Martin J.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2018-02-26
07:40:18:

> From: Stefan Folkerts <stefan.folkerts AT GMAIL DOT COM>
> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> Date: 2018-02-26 07:42
> Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Why is is dedup cache file not excluded by
default ?

> For as far as I know nothing is excluded by the code itself and I think
> this is a policy thing.
>
> Since you can install the software in different locations and you can use
> different names for different files (ie log files) IBM can never be 100%
> sure that the file it is hardcoded to exclude is the file we think it is.
> There is always that chance. It would have to be hardcoded as a sort of
> dynamic exclude like "I will exclude this is cache file that I am
currently
> actually using during the each backup".
>
> On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 5:26 PM, Erwann SIMON <erwann.simon AT free DOT fr>
wrote:

> > Hi Rick,
> >
> > Yes, this is what I always do. But I was wondering why it's not
excluded
> > by the code itself.
> >
> > --
> > Best regards / Cordialement / مع تحياتي
> > Erwann SIMON

Of
> > Erwann SIMON
> > Sent: Friday, February 23, 2018 1:14 AM
> > To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> > Subject: [ADSM-L] Why is is dedup cache file not excluded by default ?
> >
> > * This email originated outside of the organization. Use caution when
> > opening attachments or clicking links. *

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm wondering why the dedup cache file
(TSMDEDUPDB_servernamenodename.DB,