ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Influencing order of VM backup.

2018-02-10 23:37:32
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Influencing order of VM backup.
From: "Harris, Steven" <steven.harris AT BTFINANCIALGROUP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 04:34:04 +0000
Hi Mike and Marc

Thanks for your responses.

Order of presentation of VMs seems to be dependent on the order that vCenter
provides them to the TSM for VE query.  It is certainly not alphabetical or any
other obvious ordering (to me at least) and it can change over time.  One
problem VM was starting at the beginning of the schedule and suddenly moved to
late in the order with no changes that we could see.

We are running multiple data movers based on class of VM.  There are two
separate vCenters and each of those have prod and non-prod backup streams
organized by VMWare cluster with a datamover for each.  Leaving out unnecessary
detail, there is one VBS server for each vCenter/stream and one datamover on
each VBS with its own storage agent.  Data transport is SAN.  All this is
controlled through a single TSM Server.

VMMAXSESSIONS is set to 10 in prod... we have been experimenting in non-prod
with making this higher, but so far have found that more allowed sessions does
not necessarily mean more active sessions: the most we have had in non-prod was
16 active when VMAXSESSIONS was 20, and then only briefly.  More sessions also
seem to push out the elapsed time:  10 to 20 pushed out the end of backup from
8 to 10 hours.

For non-prod we have therefore now settled at 12 sessions and have started to
play with VMLIMITPERDATASTORE and VMLIMITPERHOST which have both been 2 until
now.

Yes we have considered multiple datamovers and schedules.  As we control things
by editing dsm.sys that gets messy very quickly.  The level of TSM for VE code
we are on means that the automatic exclusion of PRDMs, VMDKs>2TB etc does not
work so we have to exclude these individually.

 I am really tempted to, but the effort to script an automatic generation
process for the dsm.sys stanzas is probably not warranted. There are also
issues with having to generate using powershell on Windows and then updating
control files on Linux and security implications in our environment or having
to teach myself python for this one task (and getting python3 installed and the
prereqs for the VMware API  etc etc etc).

Looks like I may be stuck until we can at least get a code upgrade.  The
Spectre/Meltdown security issue will likely force a VMWare upgrade, at which
point we can move off our current TSM for VE level and some of the pain will go
away,  however if anyone has more information on how the TSM for VE VM
selection algorithm works and how it can be influenced, I'd be interested to
hear it.

Cheers

Steve

Steven Harris