ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] [EXTERNAL] Re: How to backup ISILON storage

2018-02-08 07:13:34
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] [EXTERNAL] Re: How to backup ISILON storage
From: "Rhodes, Richard L." <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 12:06:49 +0000
> I would seriously look into some form of async replication native to ISILON,
> something like netapp's snapvault, first.

We are just just finishing the first phase of implementing a Isilon NAS, which
consolidated dozens of Windows servers.  One of the reasons (by no means all of
them) of going to the NAS was backups and getting out from under TSM.  We setup
to use Isilon SyncIQ (replication) and SnapIQ (snapshots) for backups. So far
it's worked very well.  These features cost $$$ in terms of licensing, disk
space and network bandwidth. Besides getting the money, the snapshots require
you to guestimate the change rate and retention of your data.
Right-click-restore-previous-version is wonderful!

We also have a document management system that has multiple databases with
corresponding CIFS shares.  Originally the CIFS shares were just Win servers.
We used TSM to back it all up.  Again, it hit TSM right at its worst - many
millions of little files. We were struggling to get 1 good backup of the CIFS
shares per day.  When the user required 4 backups per day (and other reasons),
we converted the whole thing to NetApp NAS/SAN and used snapshots and
replication for backups and DR.

Rick