ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] How to backup ISILON storage

2018-02-07 15:28:26
Subject: [ADSM-L] How to backup ISILON storage
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 15:26:02 -0500
As you recall, we have been trying to figure out an alternative method to
backing up DFS mounted ISILON storage since the current method of 80+
separate nodes accessed via the Web interface of the BA client is going
away.  Plus the backups are taking soooooo long, we have to determine a
better way.

So, doing some digging, one solution that seems to be touted is using
NDMP.

We have absolutely zero experience with NDMP  and are looking for some
guidance / cookbook / real-world experiences on how we would use NDMP to
backup ISILON storage (>400TB and hundreds of millions of files) and make
it accessible so someone from a help-desk like environment could handle
file-level restores!

Or if NDMP is the wrong direction, please tell us so.
--
*Zoltan Forray*
Spectrum Protect (p.k.a. TSM) Software & Hardware Administrator