ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Repeated ANR8341I "end-of-volume" messages for some LTO7 volumes

2018-01-09 09:36:05
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Repeated ANR8341I "end-of-volume" messages for some LTO7 volumes
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 14:34:17 +0000
 Content preview:  Indeed, that's a good sanity check. I just checked and both
    of our LTO7 pools are below their MAXSCRATCH setting, and we have scratch
    tapes available in that library. I'm also not seeing any messages in the
   activity or mount logs indicating a failure to mount scratch tapes. [...]

  pts rule name              description
  0.7 SPF_NEUTRAL            SPF: sender does not match SPF record (neutral)
 -0.0 T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD      Envelope sender domain matches handover relay
                             domain
        Rule breakdown below
         pts rule name              description
        ---- ----------------------

Indeed, that's a good sanity check. I just checked and both of our LTO7
pools are below their MAXSCRATCH setting, and we have scratch tapes
available in that library. I'm also not seeing any messages in the activity
or mount logs indicating a failure to mount scratch tapes.

Interestingly, the percent utilized for these two volumes was at 40% which,
with a device class format of ULTRIUM7C, would be right at the expected
point where a volume with uncompressible data should be full. I wonder if
there's some logic failure within TSM where it assumes >0% compression for
the last file.

In any event, TSM finally marked these two volumes as full after a few
hundred attempts. I would be sort of curious to know what the last file was
on each of them...

On Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 02:21:50PM +0000, Schofield, Neil (Contractor - Storage
& Middleware,              Backup & Restore) wrote:
> Skylar
>
> It's probably worth ruling out the obvious stuff first.
>
> If the end-of-volume is reached then a new scratch tape will be required. If
> for some reason a new scratch tape cannot be mounted (eg there are no scratch
> left) to complete the writing of the spanned file/object then the store
> operation will fail and the previous end-of-data point on the tape will be
> used as the starting point the next time the tape is mounted. I've seen many
> occasions where a  paucity of scratch tapes has resulted in the end-of-tape
> being reached repeatedly on the handful of remaining 'filling' volumes.
>
> In the cases where the end-of-volume has been reached, has a scratch volume
> been successfully mounted subsequently to complete the operation?
>
> Regards
> Neil
>

> Neil Schofield
> IBM Spectrum Protect SME
> Backup & Recovery | Storage & Middleware | Platform Technologies |
> Infrastructure Technology Services | Group CIO & IT Change
> LLOYDS BANKING GROUP
> ________________________________
>

> Lloyds Banking Group plc. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ.
> Registered in Scotland no. SC95000. Telephone: 0131 225 4555.
>
> Lloyds Bank plc. Registered Office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN.
> Registered in England and Wales no. 2065. Telephone 0207626 1500.
>
> Bank of Scotland plc. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ.
> Registered in Scotland no. SC327000. Telephone: 03457 801 801.
>
> Lloyds Bank plc, Bank of Scotland plc are authorised by the Prudential
> Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and
> Prudential Regulation Authority.
>
> Halifax is a division of Bank of Scotland plc.
>
> HBOS plc. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Registered in
> Scotland no. SC218813.
>
> This e-mail (including any attachments) is private and confidential and may
> contain privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error,
> please notify the sender and delete it (including any attachments)
> immediately. You must not copy, distribute, disclose or use any of the
> information in it or any attachments. Telephone calls may be monitored or
> recorded.

-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354