ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Should I upgrade to 7.1.8.x ??? (on the client end only)

2018-01-04 09:18:19
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Should I upgrade to 7.1.8.x ??? (on the client end only)
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 09:16:25 -0500
Del,

Thanks for the info. Some of it is useful and I have seen most of it.

I have a question about the reverse i.e. clients who have upgraded to
8.1.2+ and 7.1.8.    There was this dire warning in the 8.1.2 upgrade docs
about upgrading your servers before installing 8.1.2 clients or your
backups would fail.  I downloaded all of the latest clients and eventhough
I sent an email to my co-workers about *NOT* using 8.1.2/7.1.8, some
ignored me and installed 8.1.2 (and then 7.1.8) with no issues I am aware
of (remember all of my servers are RHEL 7.1.7.300).

At what point do these dire warnings kick-in?  Is it safe to deploy 7.1.8 /
8.1.2 (holding off on 8.1.4) throughout my complex without fears of
mass-destruction?

Plus the issue of the "BA web interface" going away (if I understand this
correctly) is a major problem for us.  Unless of course I am completely
misunderstanding and it is only the web Administrator interface (which we
don't use).

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 7:45 AM, Del Hoobler <hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com> wrote:

> Here are a few links that might help:
>
> https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSEQVQ_8.1.
> 2/srv.install/r_srv_knowsec-aix.html
>
> http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg22004844
>

> Del

> "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 01/04/2018
> 03:37:53 AM:
>
> > From: "Loon, Eric van (ITOPT3) - KLM" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT COM>
> > To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> > Date: 01/04/2018 03:40 AM
> > Subject: Re: Should I upgrade to 7.1.8.x ??? (on the client end only)
> > Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
> >
> > I too read all the previous posts, but I still don't know what to
> > do. Your mail also indicates that your upgrade planning is based on
> > several assumptions and I think it is really time for IBM to jump in
> > here. I think someone from development should explain a little bit
> > about the new security design and tell us how we should upgrade
> > without impact. Which components in which order to which recommended
> level.
> > Kind regards,
> > Eric van Loon
> > Air France/KLM Storage Engineering

*Zoltan Forray*
Spectrum Protect (p.k.a. TSM) Software & Hardware Administrator
Xymon Monitor Administrator
VMware Administrator
Virginia Commonwealth University
UCC/Office of Technology Services