ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backup of file attributes Windows

2017-12-01 05:33:15
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backup of file attributes Windows
From: Henrik Ahlgren <pablo AT SEESTIETO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 12:31:52 +0200
On Wed, 2017-11-22 at 16:08 +0000, Reese, Michael A (Mike) CIV USARMY 21
SIG BDE (US) wrote:
> I've been snagged by this on many occasions myself.  The worst time was when
> 40 TB of data had to get backed up again because a system admin made a simple
> permission change at the root directory.
>
> I agree with you that since TSM now uses DB2 for its database, it should be
> able to handle storing permissions for Windows clients in the TSM database,
> just like it does for Linux clients.  If you're willing to create an RFE,
> I'll vote for it!

I would argue that the way it works with Unix and Linux is way worse:
only the latest "version" of permissions is stored. Yes, it's nice that
something like "chgrp -R foo /large/tree" does not trigger a huge
backup, but I almost consider it to be a fundamental design flaw of TSM
that you cannot restore old permissions on POSIX platforms.