ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Issue restoring SQL database via TDP

2017-10-31 23:12:40
Subject: [ADSM-L] Issue restoring SQL database via TDP
From: Paul_Dudley <pdudley AT ANL.COM DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 14:07:56 +1100
I was trying to restore an SQL database from one server (production) to another
server (test) and over the top of a database with a different name.

On the production server the database is called "InterfaceLoggingProduction".
On the test server the database I was trying to restore over the top of is
called "InterfaceLoggingProdHoldRestore".

The databases are backed up using Legacy, not VSS. I was using the TDP for SQL
client on a Windows server to perform the restore. I selected the options to
manually enter the new database name, and to select the locations of the
database and log files. The error I kept running into was:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch.

The backup set holds a backup of a database other than the existing
'InterfaceLoggingProdHoldRestore' database.

RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

In the end I had to restore the database from the production server to the test
server and use the same database name. Is it not possible to restore over the
top of a different named database?

Regards

Paul Dudley

pdudley AT anl.com DOT au <mailto:pdudley AT anl.com DOT au>

ANL DISCLAIMER

This e-mail and any file attached is confidential, and intended solely to the
named add
ressees. Any unauthorised dissemination or use is strictly prohibited. If you
received
this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail
from your s
ystem. Please do not copy, use or make reference to it for any purpose, or
disclose its
 contents to any person.