ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Huge differences in file count after exporting node to a different server

2017-10-30 09:34:27
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Huge differences in file count after exporting node to a different server
From: Robert Talda <rpt4 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 13:32:14 +0000
Zoltan:
 For what it is worth, I’ve seen this behavior for years.  I attempted to
pursue it a couple of times with IBM support but never got anywhere.

 In fact, it just occurred last week//
OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.8 (Santiago)
TSM Server Version 7, Release 1, Level 7.200

Source node statistics (from BACKUPS table):
FSID    Type State           Count
1 DIR INACTIVE_VERSION    353
1 DIR ACTIVE_VERSION    57355
1 FILE INACTIVE_VERSION   1055
1 FILE ACTIVE_VERSION   392870
2 DIR ACTIVE_VERSION     4161
2 FILE ACTIVE_VERSION    25751

Target node statistics (from BACKUPS table):
FSID    Type State            Count
1 DIR INACTIVE_VERSION    706
1 DIR ACTIVE_VERSION   114710
1 FILE INACTIVE_VERSION   1055
1 FILE ACTIVE_VERSION   393246
2 DIR ACTIVE_VERSION     4161
2 FILE ACTIVE_VERSION    25751

Note the duplication of the directories - so obvious, I didn’t pursue.  I did
look into the additional active files, and many were inconsequential (e.g.,
files named .ds_store; this is a macOS X platform) but there were a number of
other files with real content.  In this case, the additional files were not a
problem, so I didn’t pursue further, other than verifying that expiration
wasn’t running on the source server, so the origin was uncertain

Robert Talda
EZ-Backup Systems Engineer
Cornell University
+1 607-255-8280
rpt4 AT cornell DOT edu<mailto:rpt4 AT cornell DOT edu>

On Oct 25, 2017, at 3:35 PM, Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT