ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 8.1.2 client and 7.1.7 servers

2017-10-03 09:26:39
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 8.1.2 client and 7.1.7 servers
From: Stefan Folkerts <stefan.folkerts AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2017 15:25:48 +0200
Zoltan,
I'm pretty sure IBM they just want to cover all all the things that could
go wrong with that statement, as long as a downlevel client node isn't used
with a 8.1.2+ client version there shouldn't be any interruption in the
client activity.

There are also potential issues with tooling and scripting of course such
as TSMmanager that need to be upgraded to the current (as of now) release
otherwise it can't connect once your admin goes strict.

People build really crazy things with clients sharing nodes all over the
place, upgrading a part of that or just having a part of that on 8.1.2
already and then upgrading the server will move that node into strict once
the 8.1.2 client connects again, after that the older clients won't connect.

It's basically impossible for IBM to write out every possible scenario so
they don't. It wasn't clear for me for a while but the ISP Symposium of
last week sorted that out nicely.