ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Disable Client option ENABLEINSTRUMENTATION

2017-09-14 21:34:21
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Disable Client option ENABLEINSTRUMENTATION
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 21:32:55 -0400
Hi Remco,

Instrumentation is often used as an aid in performance analysis, so we felt
that enabling it by default would offer several benefits with near-zero
cost:

- Immediate data to analyze performance; no need to enable a test flag and
re-run the operation to collect data.

- Default instrumentation log size is 25 MB, so "out of the box", so no
need to worry about unchecked growth.

- Since instrumentation only keeps track of a set of counters at run-time,
there is no meaningful impact on performance.

- We also enhanced it by "promoting" the test flag to a formal option, and
allowing you to change the log file name and maximum size.

Are there any particular issues of concern that always-on instrumentation
is causing?

Best regards,

Andy

Andrew Raibeck | IBM Spectrum Protect Level 3 | storman AT us.ibm DOT com

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager links:
Product support:
https://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/product/tivoli/tivoli_storage_manager

Online documentation:
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7/landing/welcome_ssgsg7.html

Product Wiki:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home/wiki/Tivoli%20Storage%20Manager

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2017-09-14
18:45:10:

> From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> Date: 2017-09-14 19:35
> Subject: Re: Disable Client option  ENABLEINSTRUMENTATION
>
> Hi IBM,
>
> Can anyone explain to me why the instrumentation has been enabled by
> default in the first place? Were there so many support calls that
> require instrumentation output that enabling instrumentation on each
> and every client in the world is really a good idea? Because, in my
> extensive TSM experience, well maybe once in 15 years or so that I
> really needed the instr. trace...
>
> > On 14 Sep 2017, at 17:30, Efim <aefim771 AT GMAIL DOT COM> wrote:
> >
> > IT20791: "ENABLEINSTRUMENTATION" AND "INSTRLOGMAX" DOCUMENTATION
> INCORRECTLY SAYS THEY CAN BE USED IN A CLIENT OPTION SET
> > http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?crawler=1&uid=swg1IT20791 <
> http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?crawler=1&uid=swg1IT20791>
> >
> > you can run script looks like this:
> > awk '/SErvername/{print;print "ENABLEINSTRUMENTATION NO";next}1' /
> usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin64/dsm.sys
> >
> > on windows use echo and >>
> >
> > but I think you need to restart cad or schedule to activate this
option....
> > Efim
> >

> >> 14 сент. 2017 г., в 17:03, Erwann SIMON <erwann.simon AT FREE DOT FR>
> >> написал
(а):