ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] AIX Atape driver on IBM drives in Oracle Library

2017-07-12 02:55:50
Subject: [ADSM-L] AIX Atape driver on IBM drives in Oracle Library
From: "Harris, Steven" <steven.harris AT BTFINANCIALGROUP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 06:53:01 +0000
Hi All

I have a bit of a conundrum.

I have an Oracle SL8500 library with 6x IBM LTO-6 drives installed.  The drives
are dual connected. These are being used by multiple AIX 7.1 TSM 7.1 servers in
a library sharing arrangement.

AIX shows these drives as using the generic LTO driver, rather than the IBM
Atape driver.

For example

rmt55rh Available 24-T1-01     LTO Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)

Rather than the expected

vtl00rg Available 24-T1-01     IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)  (this is an
LTO-3 emulated drive on our protectier VTL)

LTO 6 Performance is atrocious.

Running instAtape gives one of the following for each drive

Method error (/etc/methods/cfgAtape -l rmt55rh ):
        0514-045 Error building a DDS structure.

We have no licence keys applied for Data Path Failover.... They come free with
an IBM library but cost for a non-IBM one ... I'm trying to track down whether
the licences were purchased back when this equipment was new.

So, does anyone know to  apply the Atape driver to these drives?  I can live
without DPF for now.

Cheers

Steve

Steven Harris
TSM Admin/Consultant
Canberra, Australia

This message and any attachment is confidential and may be privileged or
otherwise protected from disclosure. You should immediately delete the message
if you are not the intended recipient. If you have received this email by
mistake please delete it from your system; you should not copy the message or
disclose its content to anyone.

This electronic communication may contain general financial product advice but
should not be relied upon or construed as a recommendation of any financial
product. The information has been prepared without taking into account your
objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider the Product
Disclosure Statement relating to the financial product and consult your
financial adviser before making a decision about whether to acquire, hold or
dispose of a financial product.

For further details on the financial product please go to http://www.bt.com.au

Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance.