ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Client-side dedup speed

2017-05-12 07:54:10
Subject: [ADSM-L] Client-side dedup speed
From: "Loon, Eric van (ITOPT3) - KLM" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 11:52:34 +0000
Dear TSM-ers,
We are almost in production with our first directory containerpool TSM server.
We did a lot of testing with client vs server-side dedup and overall
client-side was faster. But not on one of our Linux clients. This machine has a
filesystem with nearly two million files, total amount of data is 227 GB. The
server backs up through 1Gb Ethernet and with server-side dedup the backup
takes 03:54. With client-side dedup enabled, the backup runs for 12:02! The
client contains 16 CPU's and average utilization is no more than 10%. No
swapping during a backup.
I opened a PMR, but the support offices tries to convince me that client-side
dedup is slower (twice as slow) by default. I really have a very hard time
believing this. What is your experience with client-side dedup in combination
with a large amount of smaller (approx. 1 Mb) files?
Thanks for any help in advance!
Kind regards,
Eric van Loon
Air France/KLM Storage Engineering