ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] BMR with Spectrum Protect 8.1 on Windows 2016 ??

2017-04-24 17:09:41
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] BMR with Spectrum Protect 8.1 on Windows 2016 ??
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 17:04:58 -0400
Hi Tom,

Looks like the problem is in the ASR portion of the restore, where the OS
partitions the disks. This part is opaque to us, since it is Windows doing
its magic to partition the disks. A little bit of a shot in the dark, but
some things that occur to me:

- When you do the backup, make sure you are not getting any errors or
warning messages that indicate some files are not backed up, or some part
of the system state is skipped. Ideally you want a clean (return code zero)
backup of the machine.

- Make sure the target machine hardware is similar to the source machine.
For example, if the source machine had 3 disks of sizes 200 GB, 200 GB and
600 GB, then the target machine must also have 3 disks of (at least) 200
GB, 200 GB and 600 GB. The disks should also be the same type; even
differences in disk geometry (track size, tracks per cylinder, and so on)
can make a difference.

- If the target machine has disks with existing data, then after booting
into WinPE but before running the restore, run DISKPART, select each disk,
and run CLEAN ALL. Exit DISKPART, then run the dsmc restore systemstate.

If none of the above helps, then I think it's PMR time.

1. Boot into WinPE.

2. Make sure the disks are cleaned as per the above.

3. Run the restore and collect a trace: dsmc restore systemstate
-traceflags=service -tracefile=x:\restore_trace.out. Wait for the restore
to finish (unsuccessfully).

4. Change into the %TEMP% directory and locate file TSM_Backup.xml (easiest
thing to do is use dir /s TSM_Backup.xml to find the file)

5. Collect the trace file, the TSM_Backup.xml file and dsmerror.log file.

6. Open the PMR, including the problem description and doc that you
collected.

7. (optional) Send a private email (off this list) with the PMR number so I
can keep an eye on it.

Regards,

Andy

Andrew Raibeck | IBM Spectrum Protect Level 3 | storman AT us.ibm DOT com

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager links:
Product support:
https://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/product/tivoli/tivoli_storage_manager

Online documentation:
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7/landing/welcome_ssgsg7.html

Product Wiki:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home/wiki/Tivoli%20Storage%20Manager

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2017-04-24
16:39:02:

> From: Tom Alverson <tom.alverson AT GMAIL DOT COM>
> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> Date: 2017-04-24 16:40
> Subject: Re: BMR with Spectrum Protect 8.1 on Windows 2016 ??
>
> Sometimes I get this message
>
> Waiting for pre-restore to complete ['o_'].
>
> instead of this
>
> Waiting for pre-restore to complete ['._'].
>
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 4:36 PM, Tom Alverson <tom.alverson AT gmail DOT com>
> wrote:
>
> > I made a bootable disk but the SYSTEMSTATE restore always fails with
this
> > message:
> >
> > Total number of objects restored: 19
> > Total number of objects failed: 0
> > Total number of bytes transferred: 2.06 MB
> > Data transfer time: 0.82 sec
> > Network data transfer rate: 2,566.27 KB/sec
> > Aggregate data transfer rate: 210.28 KB/sec
> > Elapsed processing time: 00:00:10
> >
> > Waiting for pre-restore to complete ['._'].
> > ANS1459E VSS Automated System Recovery (ASR) failed. "
> >
> > I found this old posting
> >
> > https://adsm.org/forum/index.php?threads/tsm-disaster-
> > recovery-problems-with-server-2012-and-uefi.27388/
> >
> > where a few people had this same issue, so I tried the command they
said
> > worked to create a good boot image:
> >
> > oscdimg -m -n -o -bootdata:2#p0,e,bc:\winpe_x64\fwfiles
\etfsboot.com#pEF,