ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] scheduling a restore

2017-03-31 09:10:50
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] scheduling a restore
From: Rick Adamson <RickAdamson AT SEGROCERS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 13:04:38 +0000
Gary,
I was tasked to do this for over 1,000 servers in our DR facility, basically
data is backed up in production and it need to be restored on an ongoing basis
to stand-by servers at our DR site to minimize recovery time.

You can create a restore schedule in the same manner as a backup schedule, but
for my needs there were limitations that made it unattractive, such as
overwriting existing files, multiple filespaces, etc., etc.

In the end I went in another direction, creating a macro.   I tested the
commands needed to accomplish my restore, copied them into a text file, named
it with an extension of "mac", copied it to the client install directory. and
whala , problem solved.

Then I defined a reoccurring client schedule that looks like this:

            Policy Domain Name: FILE_DOMAIN
                 Schedule Name: RESTORE2
                        Action: Macro
                     Subaction:
                       Objects: restore-bcp.mac
               Start Date/Time: 05/23/2016 08:00:00
                      Duration: 8 Hour(s)
    Maximum Run Time (Minutes): 0
                Schedule Style: Classic
                        Period: 1 Day(s)
                   Day of Week: Any

My  commands in the macro are exactly as they would be typed at the command
line, here's an example:
restore -replace=all -subdir=yes /home/ra/

You would obviously need to add a second file specification to the end of it
for your restore destination.
I use the replace option to replace all the files, as well as restore any
subdirectories and their files too.

Refer to documented syntax for the restore command for a list of the myriad of
options available.
Possibilities are pretty much endless....

-Rick Adamson
Jacksonville, FL.