ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] AIX BAclient hung spinning cpu

2017-02-07 14:49:31
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] AIX BAclient hung spinning cpu
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 14:47:26 -0500
Hi Rick,

Not sure what could be going on, but a few thoughts:

- You indicate you are running 7.1.6. Is that 7.1.6.0? If yes, there are a
couple of APARs you should be aware of that are related to instrumentation:
IT16364 and IT16403. These are fixed in 7.1.6.3 and later. If either of
those are in  play, the closest might be IT16364 (see the APAR description
for details, https://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IT16364).

Beyond that:

- Are these files that you always expect will get backed up? Or is it truly
possible that might not have changed since the last backup? I mention this
in case you want to consider using the SELECTIVE command rather than
INCREMENTAL. That is, if the file is always expected to be backed up, then
you can eliminate the overhead of incremental processing by just using
SELECTIVE.

- Regarding the file spec /xxxx/arch_yyyy.log: is the file directly
under /xxxx? Or are you expecting dsmc to traverse the directory structure
to look for the file? Are there files with the same name that will get
backed up? If this is just a one-file-at-at-time backup, consider
specifying the fully qualified path, to avoid time spent traversing the
file system. Then  you an also get rid of the -SUBDIR=YES option.

My thinking is, if you are doing backups of specifically targeted files,
then dsmc could be doing a lot of unnecessary processing by using
INCREMENTAL and -SUBDIR=YES.

If the problem persists and none of the above helps, I suggest collecting a
SERVICE trace that captures the problem, and opening a PMR with IBM
support.

Regards,

Andy

Andrew Raibeck | IBM Spectrum Protect Level 3 | storman AT us.ibm DOT com

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager links:
Product support:
https://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/product/tivoli/tivoli_storage_manager

Online documentation:
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7/landing/welcome_ssgsg7.html

Product Wiki:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home/wiki/Tivoli%20Storage%20Manager

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2017-02-07
10:48:21:

> From: "Rhodes, Richard L." <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> Date: 2017-02-07 11:09
> Subject: AIX BAclient hung spinning cpu
>
> AIX TSM server 7.1.5
> AIX BA client 7.1.6 on AIX 7100-03
>
> One of our servers is having the BA client hang.
> They are doing a Oracle archive backup:
>    /usr/bin/dsmc incremental -subdir=yes
-se=oracle-bkup /xxxx/arch_yyyy.log