ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Advice for archiving 80 billion of small files.

2017-01-20 09:59:58
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Advice for archiving 80 billion of small files.
From: Graham Stewart <graham.stewart AT UTORONTO DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 14:58:02 +0000
Whenever we have a situation like this we always tar.gz into one file first,
before archiving to TSM .. either the top level directory or multiple lower
level directories, if it makes sense to do so, based on what the retrieval
expectations might be.

Also very useful is to tar.gz verbosely, write that out to a file and archive
that file along with the gz. That way, later, you can get a reference of what
was in the archive without having to retrieve and extract the gz file. And
demonstrate to auditors that the files were archived successfully.

--
Graham Stewart
Network and Storage Services Manager

If there is some high level structureOn Jan 20, 2017, at 09:22, Bo Nielsen