ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ANS1311E (RC11) Server out of data storage space - container pool

2017-01-12 07:49:06
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ANS1311E (RC11) Server out of data storage space - container pool
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 07:47:26 -0500
Hi Steve,

It's a great question. Data is a funny thing... it can dedup/compress
really well one day.. then not very much the next (for example, if
database maintenance or re-orgs are done).

As it stands right now, Spectrum Protect has to assume it won't dedup to
make sure there is a enough space on the server to hold it. If Spectrum
Protect allowed 2.9TB of your 3TB to be backed up.. then failed it because
"out of space" conditions, IBM would get an APAR that said... if you knew
that backup would fail due to space... why not fail it right away?

Making an educated guess (cognitive) is a great idea... i.e. using
historical analysis of previous backups of this database to apply an
algorithm on estimated space needed.

These (and others) are the types of things Spectrum Protect development is
looking at as we investigate other cognitive ideas to make the system
smarter.

FYI... there is a Data Protection for SQL 8.1 already available:

http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSER7G_8.1.0/db.sql/dps_con_info_whatsnew.html

Thank you,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 01/11/2017
11:17:24 AM: