ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Oracle TDP backups and Replication

2017-01-11 08:59:53
Subject: [ADSM-L] Oracle TDP backups and Replication
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 08:58:04 -0500
Folks,

The deeper we get into TSM replication, the more issues we find.  This one
popped-up on multiple Oracle systems after I turned on replication for them.

System owner is having issues with Oracle TDP backups failing.  The basic
symptom is:

01/10/2017 15:38:58 ANS4058I A write failure occurred while attempting to
save node replication failover values to the options file
01/10/2017 15:40:12 ANS0361I DIAG: dbOpen(): error opening/creating lock
file '/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/api/bin64/tsmnrtable.DB.Lock'
01/10/2017 15:40:12 ANS2124W Client node replication table is locked by
another process.

Doing research on the errors I see this is common when a server has
multiple TSM nodes, which all of our Oracle DB systems do.  The suggested
solution is the addition of the NRTABLEPATH keyword to each stanza in the
dsm.sys, which we have done.

But, this doesn't seem to do anything if you run multiple Oracle backups
simultaneously, which we do via cron.

We are using the latest Spectrum Protect Oracle TDP.  Base client is still
7.1.6.

Turning off replication for the Oracle node eliminates the problem.

I did see another suggestion to change the nrtable attributes to 777, which
we are going to try today.

Any thoughts/suggestions?  Is this scenario simply not do-able?

--
*Zoltan Forray*
Spectrum Protect (p.k.a. TSM) Software & Hardware Administrator