ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM DB spaces

2017-01-06 11:17:16
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM DB spaces
From: Sasa Drnjevic <Sasa.Drnjevic AT SRCE DOT HR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2017 17:15:51 +0100
On 2017-01-06 16:54, David Ehresman wrote:
> I am running TSM 7.1.5 on AIX 7.1.  My TSM DB is currently made up of
> five 120GB filespaces.  I need to dramatically increase the size of
> the DB as we prepare for dedup.  I know I can have 128 DB filespaces.
> What, if any, are the performance implications of just adding more
> filespaces vs staying with a smaller number of much larger
> filespaces?  The filespaces are SAN attached XIV with the data spread
> over 180 drives.
>
> David Ehresman
>

>From experience, I believe it all comes down to IOPS.

So, it all depends on how are your TSM DBspaces distributed over as many
as possible drives, SAS or SATA HDDs, or SDDs, RAID type and of course
the type and throughput of (Fibre Channel?) SAN.

Your case with 180 drives sounds very good to me...

I've never had more than four TSM DB spaces, but I always distributed
them well over FC SAN, some on HDDs, and some on pure SSDs (Storwize
V7000), some only on RAID6, some only on RAID10. The sizes at the moment
are 400 GB, 200 GB and 800 GB TSM DBs.

Hope it helps...

--
Sasa Drnjevic