ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Help with DFS backups

2016-09-12 09:10:03
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Help with DFS backups
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 09:05:11 -0400
Thanks for the feedback.  I got this info from another source.

Method #1 is exactly what we DON'T want to do.  The DFS process is
replacing the CIFS process we currently use for backups.  There are going
to be dozens of "mountpoints", 1-per individual department/group and each
will be kept as separate/individual nodes so everyone has their own control
over restores, etc.

Method#2 is also lacking since we will need to backup multiple DFS
"mountpoints" from 1-"workstation", like we currently do with CIFS.  We
have 2-Windows 2012 servers whose sole purpose is to run 20-30 TSM backups
(each), one per CIFS node.

Unfortunately, there aren't an details on how to configure the DFS stuff
and TSM options to work the same way.  All of our tests have mostly failed
with the backup backing-up too much (traversing too many subdirectories) or
not-enough).

Our structure is going to be (and is currently working as such as CIFS
mounts)

DFS backup server(s)

Department Directory A
   A-Subdir
   A-Subdir....etc

Department Directory B
  B-Subdir.....etc

and each "Department" must have their own backups/TSM node/interface