ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] NDMP backups Restore

2016-09-06 16:25:48
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] NDMP backups Restore
From: "Huebner, Andy" <andy.huebner AT NOVARTIS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 20:06:48 +0000
I believe that (ufsdump) is referring to the target and the format the data
will be sent in.  Not the source.

In the olden days when I had a Celerra and used NDMP, the full dump started at
block 1 and proceeded to the last block, files and other structures were not
considered.  The Celerra supported file level de-duplication and file
compression.  This means that some of the blocks were compressed and some had
more than 1 pointer.  To restore to a different NAS system would require either
TSM to translate that to the new system or the new system to understand the
Celerra file system.  All NAS systems have unique ways of doing the same
things, that is why they are all better than the others.

Andy Huebner
SME - Storage and Backups GDC - Fort Worth