ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Fine tuning INCLUDE/EXCLUDE and EXCLUDE.DIR

2016-08-29 14:44:12
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Fine tuning INCLUDE/EXCLUDE and EXCLUDE.DIR
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 14:42:32 -0400
Hi Zoltan,

Well, you would know if your backup wasn't working right because you would
only see the root of the directory getting backed up. If
\\somcifs.rams.adp.vcu.edu\ph is a file system (and not just a directory)
then you should not need the SUBDIR option.

If the items in the OBJECTS list are file systems, then do not use the
SUBDIR option, as subdirectory traversal is always implicit in full file
system processing. In other words, in the context of full file system
incremental backup, the SUBDIR option is irrelevant.

Examples (these assume you are not using the DOMAIN settings in the client
options file, of course):

1. Back up C:, E: and F:

      OBJECTS="C: E: F:"

   Note: Do NOT do this: OBJECTS="C:\* E:\* F:\*" OPTIONS=-SUBDIR=YES

   This is the equivalent of "dsmc incremental C: E: F:"

2. Back up C:\somedir1 and E:\somedir2, including subdirectories of those
directories:

      OBJECTS="C:\somedir1\* E:\somedir2\*" OPTIONS=-SUBDIR=YES

   This is the equivalent of "dsmc incremental c:\somedir1\* e:\somedir2\*
-subdir=yes"

#2 is representative of the scenario under discussion in this thread, hence
my suggestion.

Regards,

Andy

Andrew Raibeck | IBM Spectrum Protect Level 3 | storman AT us.ibm DOT com

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager links:
Product support:
https://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/product/tivoli/tivoli_storage_manager

Online documentation:
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7/landing/welcome_ssgsg7.html

Product Wiki:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home/wiki/Tivoli%20Storage%20Manager

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2016-08-29
14:13:10: