ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Windows Client Upgrades

2016-08-19 15:35:13
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Windows Client Upgrades
From: Robert Talda <rpt4 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 19:33:45 +0000
Rick, et al:
  I’m going to wade in cautiously here, as in my experience, every situation is
different.

  We’ve experienced the reboot issue here at Cornell when installing or
upgrading the TSM client for Windows, but the reboots always seem to be
associated with the redistributable library installers provided by Microsoft.
These appeared in v6.3.1 (for us), and while the reboot issue was documented
for silent installs:

http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_6.3.0/com.ibm.itsm.client.doc/t_inst_winclient.html

we certainly missed it.  When the issue was highlighted in the next release of
the client (v.6.4):

http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_6.4.0/com.ibm.itsm.client.doc/c_inst_winclientreboot.html

we figured we weren’t the only ones.  We worked with the various support groups
on campus to separate the update of the redistributable libraries from the
install/update of the client itself; most such groups included the
redistributable libraries in with security patches known to require a reboot,
so there were no “surprise” reboots.

Flash foward to the current client (v 7.1.6.0) which we are evaluating for
rollout to our users.  While the main install documentation has remained
unchanged, cautioning about the possibility of reboot, there is an interesting
update to the documentation in this tech note:

In the section "Per APAR IT14776” there are examples of invocations of the
redistributable library package (vcredist_x86.exe) with switches that appear to
quash the restart.  I emphasize the “appear” - it hasn’t happened yet in our
testing, but I am sharing this in the interest of learning what others
experience.

Bob

Robert Talda
EZ-Backup Systems Engineer
Cornell University
+1 607-255-8280
rpt4 AT cornell DOT edu<mailto:rpt4 AT cornell DOT edu>

On Aug 19, 2016, at 8:22 AM, Rick Adamson <RickAdamson AT SEGROCERS DOT