ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Tape predictive failure data : What do you use to read the LTO CM ?

2016-08-16 09:12:06
Subject: [ADSM-L] Tape predictive failure data : What do you use to read the LTO CM ?
From: "Michaud, Luc [Analyste principal - environnement AIX]" <Luc.Michaud2 AT STM DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 09:08:38 -0400
Hello gents,
I'm new to the backup operations business, so bear with me pls.
I'm looking for a way to determine the health status for each of my 750 LTO4
cartridges (700 in vault and 50 in library)
The TS3310 library is controlled directly (primary) by my TSM 7.1.1.300 (AIX)
server, and has no partitioning nor secondary servers.
I know that all LTO drives can each the LTO CM chip, and that the ITDT command
< U > can be used for that purpose.
So here's where I need your experience with the 3 scenarios I'm looking at :

1.       Scenario 1 : query TSM for health information for all the LTO4 volumes
-  but PMR replied that this does not exist

a.       QUESTION : Shouldn't this type of media health management be part of
any modern backup software ?

2.       Scenario 2 : Disable 1 drive from TSM, use a tool to mount tapes into
that drive, use ITDT to read off the data

a.       QUESTION : Does anyone have a sample command-line tool can I use to
mount a given LTO4 cartridge from a TS3310 into a given drive ?

3.       Scenario 3 : go around with an Android NFC-enabled device to read off
the LTO CM (Mifare DESfire)

a.       QUESTION : Can anyone share its success story with this approach ?
I'm also quite interested into how you guys go about this, as I am about to go
into RFP for a replacement LTO7 library.
Regards,
Luc