ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backup VE via Resource Pool

2016-08-10 08:32:43
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backup VE via Resource Pool
From: Marcel Anthonijsz <marcel AT ANTHONIJSZ DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 14:31:24 +0200
Hi Robert,

There is no option (yet) to directly backup a VMware Resource Pool. If you
have a look at the dsmc backup command, there are following options for
VMware backup:
Ref:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_7.1.3/client/r_cmd_bkupvm.html
and :
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_7.1.3/client/r_opt_domainvmfull.html

The domain level parameters are:
    all-vm
    all-windows
    vmhost
    vmfolder
    vmhostcluster
    vmdatastore

No vmresourcepool option here :-(. You could create an RFE for that.

I manage a lot of backups using the VMFOLDER option, i.e. move a VM into a
dedicated VMware folder and it gets backupped by that datamover.
A workaround that we have discussed in last Dutch Spectrum Protect User
group is to create a script to list the VMs and create a backup script from
that list.
This requires scheduled (manual or automated) regeneration of the scripts,
so I opted for the VMFOLDER option as this is easy manageable, also by the
VMware administrators. We have found out that nested VMfolders also work,
so you can have multiple folders with the same name in your folder
structure, the TDP for VE picks up all those VMs in the folders.

--
Kind Regards, Groetje,

Marcel Anthonijsz
T: +31(0)299-776768