ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 7.1.6 client default changed?

2016-07-13 17:38:43
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 7.1.6 client default changed?
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 17:37:29 -0400
Dave, thanks for that feedback, much appreciated.

And yes, we intended it to default to a maximum size of 25 MB. In most
situations (not all, depends on volume of work), we figured that was a good
size to contain many days worth of data without requiring explicit action
to enable the pruning.

Back to the lab...

Regards,

Andy

Andrew Raibeck | IBM Spectrum Protect Level 3 | storman AT us.ibm DOT com

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager links:
Product support:
https://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/product/tivoli/tivoli_storage_manager

Online documentation:
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7/landing/welcome_ssgsg7.html

Product Wiki:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home/wiki/Tivoli%20Storage%20Manager

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2016-07-13
16:34:52:

> [...]
new
> log is created.
>
> At least on RHEL 6.8, the dsmc command that triggers the rotation crashes
> with a glibc "double free or corruption" error.  Further, if the user
running
> that dsmc command can't rename the file (e.g. the file is root-owned and
mode
> 666, and in /var/tmp or similar with the sticky bit set, but dsmc is
running
> as another user), the dsmc crash happens every time until the file is
renamed
> (manually or by a dsmc run by a user with rights to rename it).
>
> Not sure if I explained that clearly or not.  To reproduce the crash
itself
> (in a timely manner), set "INSTRLOGMAX 1" so the rename happens sooner,
then
> run enough dsmc activity to generate 1 MB of instrumentation data and
trigger
> the log renaming.
>
> Also, the INSTRLOGMAX documentation seems contradictory.  It says if you
> don't specify the option, the log can grow without limit, but later it
says
> the default value is 25 MB (which seems to be correct).
>
> =Dave
>

> On 07/13/2016 01:30 PM, Andrew Raibeck wrote:
> > Hi David,
> >
> > What is this "rotating" of logs you refer to? Is this related to log
> > retention and pruning?
> >
> > dsminstr.log is managed in a fashion similar to dsmerror.log with
regard to
> > user permissions and file locking. Is this causing a problem? Or are
you
> > just making an observation?
> >
> > Yes, please open a PMR. But if you can elaborate on these issues (how
we
> > can try to reproduce them), I can forward them to the appropriate
> > developer, then hopefully meet in the middle regarding the PMR.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Andy
> >

> >> From: David Bronder <david-bronder AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
> >> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> >> Date: 2016-07-13 13:59
> >> Subject: Re: 7.1.6 client default changed?
> >> Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
> >>
> >> Yes, they turned it on by default in 7.1.6 and changed configuration
from
> >> testflag to a new option (ENABLEINSTRUMENTATION):
> >>

> >> https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_7.1.6/client/
> >> r_new_for_version.html
> >>
> >> One more pain point when supporting client operations for non-root
users
> > (log
> >> file permissions and a lock file).  Plus, I need to open a PMR about a
> >> dsmc/glibc crash when it tries to rotate the dsminstr.log file.

> --
> Hello World.                                David Bronder - Systems
Architect
> Segmentation Fault                                      ITS-EI, Univ. of
Iowa