ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Re: 7.1.6 client default changed?

2016-07-13 16:36:09
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Re: 7.1.6 client default changed?
From: David Bronder <david-bronder AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 15:34:52 -0500
I'm using the term "rotate" loosely.  Unlike other log files, which prune
older contents based on size and age, when the dsminstr.log reaches the
configured maximum size, the file is renamed to dsminstr.log.bak and a new
log is created.

At least on RHEL 6.8, the dsmc command that triggers the rotation crashes
with a glibc "double free or corruption" error.  Further, if the user running
that dsmc command can't rename the file (e.g. the file is root-owned and mode
666, and in /var/tmp or similar with the sticky bit set, but dsmc is running
as another user), the dsmc crash happens every time until the file is renamed
(manually or by a dsmc run by a user with rights to rename it).

Not sure if I explained that clearly or not.  To reproduce the crash itself
(in a timely manner), set "INSTRLOGMAX 1" so the rename happens sooner, then
run enough dsmc activity to generate 1 MB of instrumentation data and trigger
the log renaming.

Also, the INSTRLOGMAX documentation seems contradictory.  It says if you
don't specify the option, the log can grow without limit, but later it says
the default value is 25 MB (which seems to be correct).

=Dave

--
Hello World.                                David Bronder - Systems Architect
Segmentation Fault                                      ITS-EI, Univ. of Iowa