ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] removing offsite data for a particular node

2016-06-03 13:41:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] removing offsite data for a particular node
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2016 17:40:04 +0000
If you are using collocation groups successfully, you could migrate all the
nodes in a collocation group to Amazon and then execute "delete volume"
commands for the copy pool volumes belonging to the group.  In this context,
using collocation groups successfully means avoiding situations where data from
two or more collocation groups ends up on the same tape volume. Such situations
can occur because nodes were moved between groups or because the copy pool ran
low on scratch volumes at some point. You can use the "query nodedata" command
to figure out which volumes belong to each collocation group and to identify
volumes split between groups.

If the process described above is unsuitable, I think you could use the
following process at multiple times during the migration process:

1.Use output from "query nodedata" to identify copy pool volumes with large
amounts of data from nodes that have been migrated to Amazon.
2.Execute "delete volume" commands for the volumes identified in step 1.
3.Execute a "backup stgpool" command to write new copies of files the came from
unmigrated nodes and got deleted in step 2.
4.Send the volumes written in step 3 to the vault.
5.Recall the volumes cleared in step 2.

You will need to think very carefully about the recoverability implications. In
particular, you will need to avoid having all of the offsite copies of specific
files end up onsite at the same time. If space at the vault is very tight, this
might entail the use of a temporary storage location separate from either the
vault or your data center.

Thomas Denier
Thomas Jefferson University