ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] cloud pools, directory containers, dedup etc.

2016-03-22 14:36:34
Subject: [ADSM-L] cloud pools, directory containers, dedup etc.
From: "Lee, Gary" <glee AT BSU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 18:35:06 +0000
Just jumping into the cloud storage arena with tsm.
Just installed server 7.1.5 to experiment with cloud storage.
We have been mandated to replace our largely tape based environment with amazon
cloud storage.

I know very little of tsm's implementation of this, and how it may be used.

I see lots of mention of dedup, of which I am somewhat scared. I have always
preferred such things as dedup and compression be performed at the storage
hardware level.
So,this all prompts several questions.

1.       Are there use case docs or best practice docs for implementing cloud
storage in tsm?

2.       What is the impact of dedup on server performance?

3.       What impact does dedup have on database and logging?

4.       Impact on server recovery and disaster protection?

5.       Can we start off without doing dedup, then when comfortable with it
implement it?
That will be enough to start with.

Also, has the administrator's guide returned for 7.1.5?
I didn't see it anywhere.

Thanks for any and all help.