ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Help on Directory Container

2016-03-21 07:14:27
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Help on Directory Container
From: PAC Brion Arnaud <Arnaud.Brion AT PANALPINA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 12:09:58 +0100
Hi Robert,

If not already done, you should have a look at following page :
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/Tivoli%20Storage%20Manager/page/Directory-container%20storage%20pools%20FAQs

There's a note there (Q8) explaining that "protect stgpool" should be used
before "replicate node".

In fact if you use the wizard which is now part of the 7.1.x OC to setup
replication, you will see that it automatically creates some admin schedules
which are run every 6 hours (can be customized), that are triggering "protect
stgpool" commands.
In addition to this, it also schedules a "replicate" job, which is run once a
day, as part of TSM daily maintenance jobs.

Regarding audit and repair commands :

- Audit container : will by default use the " SCANAll l" options, which
basically will look for damaged extents in a container. If any problem is
found, you can then use "q damaged" to get better information on what client
file has been damaged.

Option REMOVEDamaged means that the damaged extents will be deleted from TSM
DB. To my mind it should be used only after an unsuccessful "repair" attempt,
or  if there's no protection pool.
Option MARKDamaged  will force TSM to mark all of the involved container
extents as damaged. To my mind, it should be used only if willing to forcibly
delete a container, and should in this case be followed by an audit with option
REMOVEDamaged.
Option SCANDamaged will force TSM to check again the extents previously marked
as damaged. It should be used after "repair" command to reset the error
conditions (which would be reset with SCANAll option too)

- Repair container : well, it is pretty self-explanatory : once client data
extents have been found damaged, whether by some process, or following to an
audit command, it will allow you to restore them, on condition that a
protection storage pool exists, and that "protect stgpool" commands have been
used. It is the equivalent of "restore stgpool" command , but for directory
pools.

Hope this helped ...

Arnaud