ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Real world deduplication rates with TSM 7.1 and container pools

2016-03-21 03:55:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Real world deduplication rates with TSM 7.1 and container pools
From: PAC Brion Arnaud <Arnaud.Brion AT PANALPINA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 08:54:12 +0100
Michael, Ken and Stephan,

Thanks a lot for valuable input !

Based on your feedback, I believe that IBM is effectively overselling it's
product  : best value announced is around 65 %, which means dedup factor around
2.5 ...

Reason why I asked is that we are currently making use of Data Domain VTL's in
our shop, which at present time have a dedup factor of 7.7, but are aging and
should soon be retired.
I was wondering if their replacement with a combination of cheap disk storage
and TSM deduped container would be a good idea ...
So far I still need to be convinced : disk (IBM, Hitachi ...) is way cheaper
than a VTL, but TSM dedup rates are seeming to be less than expected : this
will probably force us to buy more disks, thus making such a solution less
attractive.

Cheers.

Arnaud