ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Library offline issue

2016-03-16 20:03:38
Subject: [ADSM-L] Library offline issue
From: Paul_Dudley <pdudley AT ANL.COM DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 11:02:05 +1100
We are running TSM version 6.3 on a Windows 2008 server with an IBM TS3200 tape
library. The windows server crashed overnight. It has been rebooted and is
working ok now however TSM will not talk to the tape library drives.

I have powered the tape library off and on and have also performed a clean
shutdown and restart of the server.

When I run "q path" it reports that the library is online.

tsm: TSMANL>q path

Source Name     Source Type     Destination     Destination     On-Line

                                Name            Type

-----------     -----------     -----------     -----------     -------

TSMANL          SERVER          LB0.1.0.6       LIBRARY         Yes

TSMANL          SERVER          L6DRI0          DRIVE           Yes

TSMANL          SERVER          L6DRI1          DRIVE           Yes

TSMANL          SERVER          L6DRI2          DRIVE           Yes

tsm: TSMANL>q path f=d

                   Source Name: TSMANL

                   Source Type: SERVER

              Destination Name: LB0.1.0.6

              Destination Type: LIBRARY

                       Library:

                     Node Name:

                        Device: lb2.1.0.2

              External Manager:

              ZOS Media Server:

                  Comm. Method:

                           LUN:

                     Initiator: 0

                     Directory:

                       On-Line: Yes

When I run "q drive" it reports that the drives are online.

tsm: TSMANL>q drive

Library Name     Drive Name       Device Type     On-Line

------------     ------------     -----------     -------------------

LB0.1.0.6        L6DRI0           LTO             Yes

LB0.1.0.6        L6DRI1           LTO             Yes

LB0.1.0.6        L6DRI2           LTO             Yes

However the status of the drives is unknown

tsm: TSMANL>q drive f=d

                                Library Name: LB0.1.0.6

                                  Drive Name: L6DRI0

                                 Device Type: LTO

                                     On-Line: Yes

                                Read Formats:
ULTRIUM6C,ULTRIUM6,ULTRIUM5C,ULTRIUM5,ULTRIUM4C,ULTRIUM4

                               Write Formats:
ULTRIUM6C,ULTRIUM6,ULTRIUM5C,ULTRIUM5

                                     Element: 256

                                 Drive State: UNKNOWN

                                 Volume Name:

                                Allocated to:

                                         WWN: 5000E111312AF001

                               Serial Number: 1068020440

              Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN

                       Last Update Date/Time: 06/04/2015 11:38:08

Cleaning Frequency (Gigabytes/ASNEEDED/NONE): NONE

When I try to update the drive I get the following error informing me that the
drive is unavailable.

tsm: TSMANL>update drive lb0.1.0.6 l6dri0 serial=avoid online=yes

ANR8444E UPDATE DRIVE: Library LB0.1.0.6 is currently unavailable.

ANS8001I Return code 14.

I can login to the library via the browser GUI and it all looks OK. The "q
libvol" command seems to work OK and returns the results I expect.

When I check the properties of the SCSI tape drive devices on the windows
server they report that the devices are working properly.

Any suggestions? Do I have to run an "update path" or "update library" command?

Thanks & Regards

Paul

Paul Dudley

IT Operations

ANL Container Line

pdudley AT anl.com DOT au

ANL DISCLAIMER

This e-mail and any file attached is confidential, and intended solely to the
named add
ressees. Any unauthorised dissemination or use is strictly prohibited. If you
received
this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail
from your s
ystem. Please do not copy, use or make reference to it for any purpose, or
disclose its
 contents to any person.