ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] getting performance from nfs storage over 10 gb link

2016-02-02 16:44:16
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] getting performance from nfs storage over 10 gb link
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 13:42:35 -0800
Hi Gary,

We don't use NFS for our TSM servers, but we have been struggling with NFS
over 10GbE in other areas. While not a universal solution, we've gotten
significant performance improvements by disabling the following NIC offload

gro
lro
rxvlan
txvlan
rxhash

For instance, you can disable gro with

ethtool --offload eth0 gro off

(assuming eth0 is your NIC)

There's a bunch more we haven't had a chance to play with, but hopefully
that's a starting point.

On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 05:54:46PM +0000, Lee, Gary wrote:
> Tsm server 6.4.3,
> RHEL 6.7
> 4 Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 8220 SE CPUs
> 128 gB memory
>
> I recently installed an intel 10 gB Ethernet card.
> Iperf3 test shown below gives around 7 gb throughput.
> However, when running multiple migration and reclamation processes, and
> watching network traffic through an independent tool, I cannot get over the
> 900 mb/s threshold.
>
> The tsm storage pools are on a file system mounted as follows:
>
> Nxback-Pool02.servers.bsu.edu:/volumes/Pool02/TSMBackup/tsm02
> /tsminst1/storage nfs
> rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys
>  0 0
>
> I am running out of options.
>
> I don't expect to see the full throughput, as disk speeds will have a good
> deal of impact.
>
> Any ideas would be helpful.

-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354