ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] When can too many disk volumes be detrimental

2016-02-02 09:49:20
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] When can too many disk volumes be detrimental
From: "Ryder, Michael S" <michael_s.ryder AT ROCHE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 09:36:15 -0500
Zoltan

SO sorry, my original TSM reference was a hair stale -- try this one:
https://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_7.1.1/com.ibm.itsm.perf.doc/t_perf_diskos_lnx.html

I understand you have constraints, so I am not telling you to do something
you cannot do.

What I am saying is - you derive more performance benefits with more
controllers and spindles - whatever you can do to increase those, will
improve your performance (up to a point - you can surpass your
motherboard's ability to push traffic through disk controllers but I don't
think this is your problem).

If you can split your database to 2 filesystems that are on 2 separate
controllers, then you have increased the parallelization of disk I/O
processing for your database.  Even a pair of mirrors on the same array
controller would be an improvement over a single mirror on an array
controller.

Out of curiousity - if your files are all going to tape anyway, what was
the purpose for so many TB of disk pool?  Can you sacrifice some diskpool
in order to improve DB/log performance?  You may be better off with a pair
of mirrors for your DB, another mirror for logs, another mirror for
archivelogs, then you can consume the rest of your slots for hotspares
and/or disk pool.

If you can't speed up your DB/log processing, don't even think about
deduplication, you will spend a LOT of time waiting for the log files to be
reconciled against the DB.

Best regards,

Mike, x7942
RMD IT Client Services