ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Eucalyptus backups: Any suggestions?

2016-01-28 12:57:02
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Eucalyptus backups: Any suggestions?
From: Henrik Ahlgren <pablo AT SEESTIETO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 19:53:52 +0200
On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 10:45:58PM +0000, Taylor, Marc D wrote:
> We have been tasked to protect (i.e. backup) a local Eucalyptus installation.
>  Anyone on the list doing anything similar with TSM?  Backing up Eucalyptus
> doesn't seem to be a straightforward thing to do.

Well, what are you trying to protect? Backing up Eucalyptus (the CLC
database, etc.) itself should not be that difficult.

Ephemeral EC2 instance storage should not be backed up at all (by the
cloud infrastructure). Educate the users to consider them throw-away
storage and to make sure that the applications can survives a loss of
an instance in one AZ. EBS storage can be backed up to S3 using
snapshots, just like you do in AWS. Perhaps it might make sense to
back up S3 (walrus) to TSM?