ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] VM Server for Monitoring/Reporting?

2016-01-08 09:05:59
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] VM Server for Monitoring/Reporting?
From: Rick Adamson <RickAdamson AT SEGROCERS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 14:03:25 +0000
I have to agree with Stefan, make sure you allocate the recommended resources
as per IBM best practices and virtualized ISP servers will serve you well.

All of my DR instances have been virtual for several years now, and in
production I am preparing to virtual both backup and OC server(s).

An additional benefit for me is I create a VM template with all the Spectrum
Protect software loaded, but not configured. When needed it only takes a few
minutes to stand up a new or replacement ISP VM.

My only issue was after my virtual backup servers were built my VMWare admins
went back and robbed them of CPU and memory resources claiming that the
resources were excessive. When they came under full production performance was
dismal.  As a part of agreeing to virtualize the production environment I made
sure that management understood, and approved, the minimum system/instance
requirements as documented in the IBM blueprints document.

-Rick Adamson