ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Bring back TSM Administrator's Guide

2015-12-16 23:07:36
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Bring back TSM Administrator's Guide
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 22:05:55 -0600
Thank you for your response Clare. It's good to know these comments are
being read.

There are a large number of areas that cannot be covered separately. A
very large topic is Policy, which is one of Spectrum Protect's hardest
to understand areas, yet it affects and is affected by everything else.
For instance, it has been essential to understand Policy in crafting our
hybrid D2D2D2T solution. Or when the auditor came and said we needed to
keep just a certain set of files for five years. The Admin Guide covered
Policy well enough that you could make your way through its many
complexities and get it to work for you. But to cover Policy adequately,
it had to refer to many other areas of the book.

Policy is just one example, which really needs everything else in the
book, in order to explain it well enough. But it needs to all be in one
place. I carry 4 PDFs (Admin Guide, Admin Ref, Windows Client, Unix
Client) around on a USB stick so I can refer to them wherever I am and
whatever the network is there.

Another topic that the solution guides simply do not cover, is the
complex interrelationships between storage pools of different kinds -
tape, VTL, disk, file, optical, etc, and how to structure migration,
reclamation, collocation, and storage pool backup to make the data flow
among them the way you want.

There's sveral other topics of similar complexity, such as managing the
client scheduler, and how to build a daily schedule of server
activities.

There are of course specialized topics that shouldn't be in there. You
mentioned NDMP. Another is V5 to V6/7 migration. Virtual Machines could
be its own book.

The basic issue here is that, as the sophisticated and fully evolved
"best of breed", Spectrum Protect has a rather steep learning curve. It
always has, since it was WDSF. After 20 years with WDSF/ADSM/TSM/SP I am
still learning things, and I still refer to the Admin Guide frequently.

Doing away with its best documentation can only hurt this highly
sophisticated product. Coherent how-to knowledge is the essential weapon
in the face of complexity. Without the Administrator's Guide, more will
simply declare Spectrum Protect to be "too complicated to understand",
and settle for an inferior solution that is easier to understand. It's a
battle that those of us who know the product well, constantly fight,
which is why this book is so essential to the product.

======I have not lost my mind -- it is backed up on tape somewhere.=====